What's better than glitter? Glitter in pretty containers! Vintage salt and pepper shakers are the perfect solution to store  your sparkle. I look for clear glass bottoms {or crystal if I get lucky}, and prefer silver tops. The pair of red ones was so inexpensive I couldn't resist them and I did need a few more containers.


There are two large ones in this week's bundle which I love--especially the big round one. It's also the most intricate shaker, I believe it might be crystal... sure is heavy enough!

I also have to make sure that the holes in the tops are big enough so that glitter will shake through easily. I found some great deals on shakers recently and these are ready to be cleaned and filled.



I'll start the cleaning process with a vinegar, baking soda and hot water bath for them. A few hours soaking in this mixture should help loosen the scale and debris inside. If you try this, be prepared for an initial fizz of the vinegar and baking soda combo. When they come in contact with each other there will be foaming over the top! I'll get my bottle brush out next and try to get them really clean. I have also used denture cleaning tablets (the cheapest brand works fine) but I am out of those at the moment.

I can't decide if I will leave the tops shabby or shine them up. Hopefully I'll have some filled with bling to show you later in the week on Part 2 of this post

Check out my favorite link parties I've linked this post to



sig trans


15 Comments

  1. Your glitter shakers are fabulous. I've been glittering up a storm with Easter crafts and your dispensers are just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea for a glitter shakers! Resourceful and clever...xo Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny, I don't normally think about glitter that much, but then I read about it here and saw it for sale in a fancy boutique today. It's a double dip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, they're lovely. And what a lovely idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love seeing old shakers displayed together like this! Beautiful! Good tips too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a beautiful display, I love the simplicity of just showing the shakers on the silver tray. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. just love to see crystal shining and on a silver tray to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! I love using vintage salt and pepper shakers for my glitter. Gorgeous photos too!
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  9. The round shaker is a beauty. Thanks for the vinegar and baking soda tip. I used both of those to help with a plugged drain in my old house and eventually, it worked, using a plunger, too. Didn't want to use harmful chemicals which might have damaged the pipes.
    I wanted to pass along a cleaning tip to you, too. If you have aluminum that you want to shine...get Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish. It is awesome! I used it yesterday on some pieces and Oh MY GOODNESS, what a great shine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea...I had never considered using shakers for glitter! What is the ratio of vinegar to baking soda that you use for cleaning?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't really measure the vinegar and baking soda. I probably put about a heaping teaspoon in each shaker and then poured vinegar in to fill the shaker about halfway. The solution will then foam over the top of the shaker. Hope that helps!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awe - love this idea.....my glitter gets all over - but putting it a pretty container like you have done, is too cute for words! love lov love this! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful idea! I like using glass, rather than plastic, for most everything. And decorative vintage glass is even better. ;)

    Thanks for linking to the party.

    Blessings,
    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are so pretty. I would probably glue glitter on the tops or leave them like they are.

    I love old salt and pepper shakers, they are so elegant!

    ReplyDelete

Inspiration...

Pageviews last month

subscribe

Blogger templates

Translate blog language

Powered by Blogger.

Fabulous friends & followers

Search This Blog