The peonies are in their glory in my garden. I have cut a few to bring in the house to enjoy and put them in one of my most recent thrift store finds... this pretty silver plate vase.
There aren't as many blooms as in year's past and I'm not sure of the reason why. Someone told me that you shouldn't cut all the blooms as it will result in fewer for the next year, but I'm not sure if that is true.
Then I began to notice many bare stems... like blossoms were plucked off the tips of them.
And sure enough, I found them.... all over the yard.
Funny how they were picked while they were still in their tight, rounded shape; like little tennis balls almost. And there is someone who loves tennis balls in my house....
Yep, it was Marley. Both of the dogs love to romp in my garden, pulling their favorite weeds to munch, but never have I seen them eat flowers... until now. Luckily Marley responds well to an "ah-ah" while he's in the middle of doing something and knows that sound means he's doing something he shouldn't. I've only found a few peony balls since then so I'm hoping the attraction has stopped. He is a cute garden pest though, isn't he?
Last week's highlights...
Before we get started on this week's link up, I'd love to spotlight a few links from the last party. If you've been featured on Very Merry Vintage Style... grab a feature button & tell the world!

The first shout-out goes to Nicole at Davis Domestications. She transformed a slightly damaged and previously stained buffet into a beautiful piece of furniture! It is a stunner, and the way that she painted the details in a contrasting color highlights them even more. Check out her whole post and see the finished buffet!
The combination of raisins and chocolate always appeals to me, so when I saw this post from Joy of Desserts and More I knew I would be copying this recipe down. Don't they look yummy? In that same post she has a link up for vintage inspired recipes so there are lots of reasons to visit her blog!
This next link is another recipe of sorts, for making your own foamy hand soap. I love this stuff and never realized how easy it is to make your own... you won't believe it either; the full recipe is over
at Snowflakes and Dragonflies. Lastly, hop over to A Few Pennies to see glimpses of her gorgeous garden. I love how this frame, one of her newest thrifty finds, is set in the garden. I think it was just placed there for a quick photo but I actually think a frame as a garden element could be kind of cool. Wouldn't it be neat to wrap a frame in chicken wire and let it become covered with ivy or morning glories? I would use something more simple for this purpose, this one below is just too pretty to cover up!
Linking this post to:
Oregon Cottage Tuesday Garden Party
DIY by Design
Fishtail Cottage: Cottage Flora Thursdays
Thanks so much to each of you who linked up last week. I truly enjoy visiting each and every one of you to see what you've been up to! I'm ready for another week of fun, so let's get the party started...
Two easy requests...
- Please link just one specific post you want to feature, not your whole blog (to do this, click on the title of the post you want to link and it will open on it's own page, then copy that url
- Please link back to my blog with either the party button or a text link.





H

Thanks for hosting.Peonies are simply divine.I'm always a bit sad when they finish for the season.Mine have been over for a couple of weeks.Lovely photos as always!
ReplyDeleteOh Mary, just look at that sweet face. He looks so repentant! You must have tons of peony bushes! I'm still just trying to get one to bloom. Thanks for the party, just linked up.
ReplyDeletexoxo Debra
I had a Golden Retriever puppy that ate every daylily bud before it bloomed. I never knew what colors the flowers were. I just thought they were all "Golden". You are blessed to have such a lovely garden and Golden. Thanks for hosting.
ReplyDeleteI wish peonies lasted longer. They are my absolute favorite blossom. Your pictures are just gorgeous...especially the guilty puppy picture.
ReplyDeleteyour post made me laugh! At least you figured out what happened! sorry u won't see all those beautiful blossoms.....but Marley is worth it!
ReplyDeleteHow could anyone be upset with such a sweet face like Marley's. I love your pretty silver vase. Thanks for hosting;-)
ReplyDeleteYour peonies are just gorgeous! Lucky you.
ReplyDeleteYour peony balls are still pretty!... Marley is a doll and yes, a cute garden pest!... doggie kisses sweet Marley!... xoxo Julie Marie
ReplyDeleteHello, I'm visiting from Cottage Flora Thursday. It's a good thing you caught the peony thief, what a beauty though. In my gardens it's a smaller dog in pursuit of squirrels and chippies trampling lots of plants.
ReplyDeleteAhhh-that sweet baby with the cute bandana! I love pups so much--your peonies are so pretty (less a few here and there ;)--Thank you again for hosting--love visiting your blog and your lovely home, gardens and sweet puppies.
ReplyDeleteI found my way here from Cottage Flora Thursdays. I just love your garden pest!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the highlight on my foam soap refill and thanks for hosting the party! Have a super great weekend!
ReplyDeleteas much as i love peonies, i couldn't be frustrated with your sweet dog. marley is absolutely too darling for words.
ReplyDeletehave an excellent weekend, mary.
xo
~molly
My sensebilities, at first,were horrified. What mosterous vandal would do such an awful thing in your garden, naughty children? Teenagers? I love the fact that you played sleuth and discovered who the culprit was...how funny and how clever! No balls to play with from mom, oh look, she planted a ball plant, just for me.
ReplyDeleteha ha - those little stinkers get into trouble with us so innocently? Cute story! Thanks for sharing over at Cottage Flora Thursday's Garden Party! xoox, tracie
ReplyDelete