I used Chalk Paint to transform this pretty thrifted deer from it's original brass finish. I bought this piece from a thrift store on one of my golden retriever rescue trips. I've seen a bit of an antler trend in interior design over the last year and thought this would be a fun way to bring this element into my home.

In the past, it would have been an item to use spray paint on, but since I was testing out the chalk paint on my vintage suitcases, I figured I would give it a try on something metal.


I did absolutely no preparatory steps on this before painting. It was pretty clean and I simply brushed on the paint with a bristle brush. The paint went on really nicely. Many times when painting small decorative pieces I find I use too heavy of a hand with the spray paint and get drips here and there. The chalk paint went on very smooth and did not build up in the details at all. It definitely did require two coats of the paint though. I have yet to use this paint and be pleased with one coat coverage. I tried this paint on vintage suitcases and also needed two coats. Check out that post for more information on using this paint.


The finish is a very flat. It's almost like looking at a piece of chalk--that's the final look you'll get. I decided not to add any wax or poly finish to this; I like the smooth matte look. For painting brass, I'd have to give the Annie Sloane Chalk Paint two thumbs up! I'll let you know how the plain chalk finish stands up to time.


Just for grins, here's a picture of another brass piece I painted previously with spray paint next to the deer with the chalk paint. Click here for the full post on this tri-level piece.  I like both finishes, but sometimes I get tired of waiting for the perfect spray painting weather (most definitely too hot and humid for that today!) and the resulting fumes and smell. You can see how the spray paint piece is much smoother--no brush marks.

Before we get started on this week's link up, I'd love to spotlight a few links from the last party.

The first shout-out goes to the first link up! I love vintage furniture, and this makeover by Mr & Mrs. Frugal Face is truly beautiful! I love the way she restored the hardware and the gorgeous color and glaze!



This beautiful kitchen below from Tenth Avenue South caught my eye as well. The whole effect is subdued, elegant and pristine. I love the counter tops and that faucet {definitely visit her blog and check out the closeup of it's detail}.... talk about fabulous design! The only items on the counters are functional or truly beautiful. I love the tray of Pellegrino and flowers--what a nice touch! There's even a recipe as framed art in a great looking wall display! I love beautiful, well-designed details... and this kitchen is full of them!


 Liz over at Brambleberry Cottage brought her beautiful photography to the party {really the post looks like a professional stylist!}. This sweet drink is served in fabulous style and wait until you see the other photos of this post featuring her cherry picking adventures. Bright red cherries in vintage this and that... it's delicious!


One more pretty post to spotlight... who could resist this beautiful pergola! A Few Pennies has the perfect spot to sit with a cool drink or a good book. She has the furniture and potted plants placed just so... this really is a beautiful outdoor space. The construction of this pretty garden element doesn't look too difficult to copy either! Click on over and visit her to get the full effect.


Let's get this week's party started! I'm looking forward to seeing what you all have been up to. Thanks to all of you who linked up last time. I can't wait to see what fabulous projects and ideas this week will bring.

Two easy requests...

  • Please link just one specific post you want to feature, not your whole blog (to do this, click on the title of the post you want to link and it will open on it's own page, then copy that url
  • Please link back to my blog with either the party button or a text link. 

Linking this post to...
Tater Tots & Jello
My Romantic Home
Wicked Awesome Wednesday
Transformation Thursday at Shabby Chic Cottage
Twice Owned Tuesday
Blue Cricket Design
Nifty Thirfty Tuesdays at Coastal Charm
Faded Charm White Wednesday






    Welcome to the party... I'm so glad you came!










    sig trans


    14 Comments

    1. Thank you so much, Mary, for the shout-out! And your kind comments are very sweet.

      Your use of chalk paint was really a brilliant way to makeover the brass deer. I'm not a fan of brass - unless it has the patina of age - so this is a great tip for a redo!

      See you tomorrow night at the cottage for Time Travel Thursday. ;)

      Blessings,
      Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
      http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

      ReplyDelete
    2. Next time try "pouncing" the paint brush onto the object. That way you won't have brush strokes but a textured look instead. ;-)

      ReplyDelete
    3. Thanks for the invite, Mary! I found a local source for the chalk paint and am very anxious to try it. I've seen such wonderful results on so many blogs. Your deer looks so much better in white! I really like the matte look. :-) Sue

      ReplyDelete
    4. Thanks for the spotlight on Bertha the buffet and for hosting!

      I would walk right past that deer in his "before" state but I LOVE him in white! I *heart* paint...

      ReplyDelete
    5. thank you mary for hosting. I appreciated the invite.
      Pam @ BeColorful

      ReplyDelete
    6. Thanks a lot Mary for inviting and such a party with so lovely thoughts... I love to linked up with you, hope you would like to pay a visit at
      http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
      Love
      Farah

      ReplyDelete
    7. Just discovered your Share the Love Party. Thank you for hosting. I'm linking a vintage recipe for raisin squares. I have a Golden too. :-)

      http://joyofdesserts.blogspot.com/2011/06/vintage-recipe-thursday-raisin-squares.html

      ReplyDelete
    8. thanks for the chalk painted brass! I have been wondering about that!
      Debbie

      ReplyDelete
    9. Love your brass deer makeover! A lot of people don't buy brass amymore but there are so many great "brass" things out there that just need a little paint to look fabulous! Thanks for hosting such a fun party!
      Rebecca

      ReplyDelete
    10. Thank you the invite to the link party! I added a IKEA dresser that was oh so boring and needed some paint and love. :) I follow your blog now and I'm excited to see what you do next! 551eastdesign.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
    11. What a lovely group! I'm so happy to be a part of it!
      Michelle

      ReplyDelete
    12. I have not even heard of chalk paint before. I like the dear in white!

      ReplyDelete
    13. Mary; thank you for the mention~~you just don't know what that does for my blogging~soul. Love your projects and watch patiently as possible for the next! Thank you also for providing us "newbies" a place to meet, mingle and get inspired. Patty

      ReplyDelete
    14. That came out great! Thanks for stopping by to add this to our Wicked Awesome Wednesday party!

      ReplyDelete

    Inspiration...

    Pageviews last month

    subscribe

    Blogger templates

    Translate blog language

    Powered by Blogger.

    Fabulous friends & followers

    Search This Blog